March 9, 2014

Oh. Ouch.


Study to be patient in bearing the defects of others, and their infirmities be they what they may; for thou hast many things, which others must bear withal.  If thou canst not make thyself what thou wouldst be, how can thou expect to have another so exactly to thy mind?
Thomas a Kempis

Oh. Ouch. I guess it must be a pathetic universal truth that we all expect others to be perfect while we ourselves are rather rotten to the very core of our being. And do we find it our bound and duty to be sure to tell the imperfections of others?  Oh my.  In our own personal state of rotteness it seems others just might look pretty good, if we would let our pride go for a minute or two. Perhaps we should consider forgiving the little imperfections of others and concentrate a little more on ridding ourselves of some imperfection in ourselves.  

Oh but he's a *murderer*! We are better than that!
*
Oh but what about our lashing tongue which is a weapon that wounds and destroys the good name!  Oh but what about our bitter heart which destroys one's own peace and becomes a poison to others!  
*
Oh but he's a *murderer*!  We are better than that!

How often do we lie to ourselves about or own goodness?

Oh but that speck in others' eyes.... is much larger than the log in my own....! 
:D  
But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest: I am rich, and made wealthy, and have need of nothing: and knowest not, that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked. I counsel thee to buy of me gold fire tried, that thou mayest be made rich; and mayest be clothed in white garments, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not appear; and anoint thy eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. Such as I love, I rebuke and chastise. Be zealous therefore, and do penance.Revelations 3:16-18
Oh. Ouch. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I often find myself saying "ouch" when listing others' faults!
    beautifully put
    blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete